What type of sheepskin is best for your dog or cat?
Sheepskins come in many different colors and sizes but also the type of wool varies as there are about 900 different breeds of sheep. There are sheepskins with short (shorn) wool, extra long hairs like the Icelandic sheepskin and curly fleeces like the Gotland sheepskin. But which sheepskin is best to use for your dog or cat? These are the coats of the Texel, these coats have half-long hair, their wool is compact and also these coats retain heat well. So your dog or cat can always lie comfortably.
How can you use the sheepskin?
There are several ways to use a sheepskin for your dog and cat. Some ways are:
- As a cot. This is the most commonly used way. Your dog or cat can then rest and sleep on the sheepskin.
- As a rug. Does your dog or cat like to hobble after you? Then you can also put a sheepskin in the places where he lies a lot.
- To protect your couch or chair. Sometimes dogs and cats are all too eager to lie on the couch or chair resulting in scratches or chewed up railings. Place a sheepskin on the couch or chair for protection.
- Put the sheepskin over his current crib. Putting a sheepskin over his current crib offers more comfort when lying down and sleeping.
What is the difference between a regular sheepskin and one for your dog or cat?
All our sheepskins come from the same tanneries. We have been working with these tanneries for years and we know that the quality is always high. These tanneries sometimes have sheepskins available that have been rejected for interior use or have minor defects. Examples are a hole (or holes) on the back, repairs, paint marks from the farmer or fleeces that do not have a nice shape.
Although this may make them less suitable for interior use, they can still be used very well. They receive exactly the same treatment as our A-quality sheepskins. The only difference is that these sheepskins have a defect. Because of this we can offer them at a much lower price.
Why use a sheepskin as a bed or rug?
There are several benefits to using a sheepskin for your dog or cat, including:
- The sheepskin takes the temperature of your pet. So they are always snug in the winter. A unique property of wool is that it stays cool in the summer. Thus, it is never too hot for your dog or cat when lying on it.
- Sheepskin provides relief for older dogs and cats. As your dog or cat ages, he or she may also experience more joint discomfort, especially when it is cold. Getting up becomes more difficult when the muscles and joints are cold.
- Sheepskins are antibacterial. Thanks to the fatty substance lanolin (natural substance the sheep itself produces), the sheepskin is protected from dirt and bugs.
- The fleeces bring extra atmosphere and warmth to your interior. Besides being a great bed for your pet, sheepskins are also an atmospheric addition to your interior.
What type of color sheepskin is best to use for your dog or cat?
The color of the sheepskin is mostly a personal choice. Your dog or cat will not care much what color, as long as they can lie on it comfortably. At least, we haven't heard any barking or hissing about the fleece yet.
What you might consider when choosing a sheepskin is the color of your pet and the color of the sheepskin. Suppose your dog or cat is brown then any loose hair will be less noticeable on a brown sheepskin. Or if you have a white dog or cat you can go for a white sheepskin.
What is the best way to maintain the sheepskin if your dog or cat lies on it?
Sheepskins require very little maintenance. The maintenance required depends on how the sheepskin is used.
Does your dog or cat like to take sand inside? Then it's best to pat the sheepskin outside once a week. More detailed instructions for maintenance can be found in our blog on maintaining / cleaning the sheepskin.
If your dog or cat lies a lot on the sheepskin, the wool can sometimes become flatter. To make the sheepskin fluffy again you can comb it with a special wool comb. You can also give your dog or cat a good combing they never mind!
What sizes of sheepskin are there?
Small sheepskins (Small)
Large sheepskins (Large)
Extra Large Sheepskins (Extra Large)
Extra Extra Large Sheepskins
Looking for sheepskin inspirations?
We regularly receive the cutest and most beautiful inspiration photos from owners. Are you looking for ideas for your home? Take a look at the pictures below and get inspired!
Even more sheepskin inspirations? Then take a quick look at the inspiration room.
Sheepskins for dogs and cats also ecologically tanned
We have all our sheepskins tanned in a sustainable way. This means that the tannery does not use any harmful substances that could harm the environment, such as chromium, black metals or other harmful substances. The sustainable tanning goes even a step further and we can proudly say that the sheepskins are allowed to carry the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 label. Thus, they are safe for humans as well as dogs and cats.
Why choose a sheepskin from Leatheroverstock.Com?
Our sheepskins come from Europe, New Zealand and Australia, sourced as a by-product from the meat industry. We always look for the finest furs from sheep that have had a good life. In the meat industry, sheepskins are unfortunately not useful and are often thrown away. By tanning the skins and fleeces, we give them a second life and nothing is lost. You can always expect from our sheepskins:
- That they are the finest hides (only by-products from the meat industry)
- They selected by hand
- They have supple yet sturdy leather
- Always good in the hair
- Being extra washed so you don't smell like a buck
- Be low maintenance(low maintenance required)
- They are super soft, warm and comfortable
- And are available in many unique colors and sizes